SCORE is a nonprofit association dedicated to educating entrepreneurs and helping small businesses start, grow, and succeed nationwide. SCORE is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), and has been mentoring small business owners for more than fifty years.
SCORE is a valuable network of 13,000+ volunteers who offer small business entrepreneurs confidential business counseling services at no charge. SCORE volunteers have the knowledge and experience to help any small business owner get the help they need. Our dedicated volunteers represent over 3,000 years of experience across 62 industries.
SCORE also provides local workshops and events throughout the country to connect small business owners with the people and information they need to start, grow, and maintain their businesses, as well as online workshops available 24/7. SCORE provides resources, templates and tools to assist entrepreneurs in developing tools and plans they need to navigate their way to small business success.
Founded in 1964, SCORE is headquartered in Herndon, VA and has 364 chapters throughout the United States and its territories, with over 13,000 volunteers nationwide.
FAQ Frequently Asked Questions
- 1.What does Score stand for? When the organization was established in 1964 SCORE was an acronym for Service Corps of Retired Executives. That acronym has not been used for many years. Our logo is Score- for the life of your business.
- 2. Are all members of Score retired? In many chapters yes, but Currently only 29% of the volunteers in the Miami Dade Chapter are retired: 28% are women, and over 50% are conversant in more than one language. We can offer counseling in 14 languages. We recognize the need for counselors with the strong technical skills needed in the current business environment. We plan to continue to add counselors and workshops.
- 3. How many chapters are there nationwide and how many volunteers offer their services? There are 364 chapters nationwide and approximately 13,000 volunteers who mentor, provide workshops and assist in the management of each chapter. Many chapters have no paid staff. The work is done predominantly by volunteers who are passionate about improving the quality of life within their communities.
- 4. How many chapters are there on the East Coast of Florida? There are seven chapters and we work cooperatively. We are all part of District 455 of SCORE Association. These chapters are located in, South Palm Beach, Miami Dade, Ft. Lauderdale, Treasure Coast, South Broward, Space Coast, and Palm beach.
- 5. How do I request help from a Score counselor? Please fill out a request for counseling on this website. A counselor will be assigned to you and will contact you shortly. Counseling is free. Providing details about your business assists us in selecting the right counselor for you.
- 6. How will the counselor contact me? The counselor will call you or send you an email.
- 7. Do you have counselors in all types of business? No, but they do have a wide range of knowledge in business matters. You can request e counseling which offers counseling from other parts of the U.S.A.
- 8. What if I am not contacted by a counselor in a reasonable time (48 hours)? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 9. Do I have to be in business to receive counseling? No, Score counselors will help whether your business is operating or a dream. We will educate you so that you can turn your dream into a reality.
- 10.Will Score counselors write my business plan for me? No, you must write it yourself and a counselor will critique. We also have a workshop on the writing of business plans. Business plans must be concise documents with supporting information.
- 11. Will Score counselors recommend professionals..i.e. lawyers, accountants etc.? No, but they will show you how to go about finding one.
- 12. Will Score counselors tell me what business to go into? Absolutely not, the decision is only yours. However they may point you in the right direction.
- 13. What if my counselor and I are not a good match? You may request another counselor by sending an email to email@example.com
- 14. Do you have workshops? Yes, look at the workshop page or the calendar.
- 15. Does Score have a national website? Yes, please go to http://score.org and http://sba.gov. Both links offer extensive online resources for all aspects of business development.
- 16. How does Score work with the SBA? Score is a resource partner that provides counseling services to small businesses. The SBA refers clients to Score for mentoring.
- 17. I need financing. Does Score or the SBA loan money? No, neither organization funds loans. Score mentors will assist you in packaging a loan request and guide you to the best resources. If the lender processes and offers the loan following SBA guidelines.
- 18. I need a grant. Does Score or SBA offer grants? No, but Score may be able to direct you to possible resources.
- 19. May I volunteer to be a Score counselor if I feel I have something to offer? Absolutely, we are always looking for new and qualified people. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.